Waxing your surfboard is necessary for enjoying a strong grip facility and extra safety. But the wax on your board can catch sand and dirt from underwater after several rides. Sand-filled surfboards become heavier that can make your grip poor. For this reason, cleaning the wax off from your surfboard after a certain time is essential.
But how to clean wax off the surfboard is the main concern now. Don’t panic about thinking that cleaning the wax is quite a hard task. I am going to present the procedure of cleaning wax off from a surfboard in detail. So, try to be focused on this article till the end to get your desired solution.
How to Clean Wax Off the Surfboard
Won’t it be great if you find a step-by-step instruction on your query? Below in this section, you will find a step-by-step guideline, try to follow this for cleaning off the wax.
Soften the wax
Once you wax your surfboard it becomes quite hard and that’s why you need to soften the wax before cleaning.
- If you are working on a sunny day of warm weather then direct sunlight can ease your work. Keep your surfboard under direct sunlight for about 15-20 minutes to soften the wax.
- You won’t find sunlight all the time as you may need to clean the wax in any weather or any time in a day. So as an alternative way you can spill some warm water on your board. Warm water helps the wax to melt down but be aware of not using too much hot water.
- Neither sunlight nor hot water works effectively in too much cold weather. To overcome the problem, you can use a hairdryer or apply heat through a heat gun carefully. These techniques work great for melting the surfboard wax.
Scrape off the wax
After the wax becomes soft enough you are ready to scrape the wax off from your surfboard.
- Wax combs are available for this task and always try to use the non-serrated side of it. The serrated side can make scratches so avoid using that side.
- Not all can manage a wax comb for scraping off the old wax. If you face this situation then use an old credit card for scraping gently.
- No matter which media you are using for scraping always make sure to follow a pattern. That means, follow a pattern so that you can avoid scraping the same place again and again.
Clean up with a cloth
Scraping off the wax may not clean the wax fully. Bits of wax will still be there and so you need to do a final clean up.
- Spray citrus-based wax remover and wait for about 30 seconds and then clean with a rag in a circular motion.
- Use a fresh piece of cloth to wipe off the remaining wax fractions. For a better and perfect outcome, you can apply some coconut oil to the cloth if citrus-based wax remover is not available.
- You can use paper towels with acetone applied if you can’t find a fresh piece of cloth. Acetone and paper towels provide the same and proper service as well.
Re-wax your board
Though our goal is to know how to clean wax off from the surfboard we should know the importance of re-waxing as well. You cannot keep your surfboard without wax after cleaning the old wax. Because when you will go for a surf again you won’t be able to grip safely. That’s why after cleaning off the wax you should re-wax it following the proper method.
Here are some tips for completing your task more smoothly and sincerely.
- Make sure not to supply excess heat as this can damage your surfboard structure.
- Carefully use a wax comb or credit card because your carelessness can leave scratches on the board surface.
- Never let a single bit of old dirty wax be left on your surfboard. Re-waxing may seem harder if there are old wax bits left on.
- Dry the board well after cleaning off the old wax and then prepare to wax again.
Cleaning off the wax from your surfboard is mandatory if your board is full of sand and heavy to handle. To give your surfboard a new look by waxing it again you need to clean the old wax first. Removing the old dirty wax is not that difficult, all you need to do is follow a step-by-step instruction.
In the above article, I have tried to mention every detail about how to clean off the wax from the surfboard. Most importantly, the words are very easy to understand and follow. So read out the whole article attentively and then go to the work field to accomplish the task.